Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer Bittersweetness

Jacob finished the 1st grade on June 17th. He got into the car and the first thing he said was, "Rebecca gave me a kiss and a hug twice!".

Totally intrigued I asked, "And what did you do?"

He replied that he did nothing because he was a little "entarassed".

"Embarrassed?"

"Oh yeah, silly me, that's what I meant!"

After a little more questioning I discovered that the kisses were on the cheek and given because she said she would miss him.

I then went to say good-bye to Jake's teacher and when I returned to the car excited to talk about the last day of school I looked into the rearview mirror to see my super sweetheart son all puffy-eyed and trying unsuccessfully to hold back his tears. I asked him, "What's the matter Jakey?"

He came back with, "I'm sad that the 1st grade is over. I don't want to leave the
1st grade."

This is when I started crying. I explained to him that this is what is known as bittersweet; when you feel happy and sad at the same time.

He said, "But I'm not happy at all!"

This is one of those moments in time that is difficult to capture. My son is growing up and learning about the ups and downs life brings. Bittersweet.


This is Jacob's school picture taken in the beginning of October:



















This is his Spring picture taken in May. He has grown so much this year!


4 comments:

  1. Angie,

    So far I am really impressed with your blog!! And maybe a bit jelaous because mine SUCKS!!! I love your family you are all so cute and fun to be around. I am glad we are seeing each other more often now and hopefully more in the future.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,

    So far I am impressed with your blog! And maybe a bit jeleous! I love your family you are all so cute and fun to hang out with. I am glad we have been seeing each other more often and hopefully it will be more and more!!

    Love,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Jacob is so cute. I hear you about the bitter sweet thing. That's pretty much a huge part of motherhood! Take care- A

    ReplyDelete
  4. we need an update!!! new pictures ... something....

    ReplyDelete